Sunday, March 3, 2013

Session 8


Define and describe the copyright concept “fair use” and explain how it applies or doesn’t apply to the development of online classes.

Accordingly to Waterhouse (2005), Fair Use guidelines on copyrighted work are characterized by:

Purpose: You are allowed to use the information you did not create only if you do not plan on using it to create financial profit.

Nature: You are allowed to use the information if the work you copy is based on fact as opposed to fiction and should be published

Amount: You are allowed to use the information you did not create if the amount you take is a small portion of the entire work. 

Here are some guidelines:

·         1,000 words or 10% of a prose work

·         30 secs of mucis or 10% of the length of complete composition

·         3 mins or 10% of a video

·         250 words or 10% of a poem

Effect: You are allowed to use the information if your citation does not lessen the profitability of the original work.

This applies to the development of online classes (as well as face-to-face classes), because it creates guidelines for both instructors and students to follow. It is powerful in the sense that if grants us the freedom to use the World Wide Web, but also limits us in the sense that we have to be extremely to the types of information we make readily available on our coursesite. 

Develop a policy, set of guidelines or lesson that would teach students you might work with about Intellectual Property rights and their use of other people’s works.

Course Policy on Intellectual Property Rights:

All course materials are copyrighted and students may not use or distribute any portion of the material without writing consent from the creator, unless the use is characterized by the Fair Use guidelines. Please respect the intellectual property rights of this course, your peers and the university. Please consult the course site policy on Plagiarism and Fair Use Guidelines.

 

References:

Newberry, B. Intellectual Property Rights and eLearning. (Word) Retrieved on February 25, 2013 from http://studyonthebeach.com/csusb/classes/winter2013/etec_674_winter_2013/s08.html

Waterhouse, S. (2005). The Power of ELearning: The Essentail Guide for Teaching in the Digital Age. Boston: Pearson Education, Inc.

 

5 comments:

  1. Short and simple great job! thanks for the article, for some reason most of the ones I found were written in chinese :/.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa,
    While I was familiar with copyright issues and copyright law, I wasn't familiar with the concept of fair use. I was just wondering if you had heard of it before these readings?
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa,
    I think the copyright issues are universal. and yes it is a complicated, specialty law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Melissa,
    Your post summarize the good point of copyright and fair use. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Melissa

    The issues related to copyright and intellectual property concerning e-Learning will be ever growing. I never even considered this point or issue before I took this class. I can see a growing legal specialy field for laywers in this area. I liked your easy to read to the point post

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete