Sunday, February 24, 2013

Session 7


 

Resume Writing Assignment

Introduction:

This course is intended to guide an individual through the complex array of career explorations and choices. This course is designed for students, as well as professionals, so in this assignment you will create your own resume for one of the careers you previously selected as interesting and worth pursuing.

Process:

  1. Listen to the podcast or read the document.
  2. Go back to the three careers you previously selected as interesting and worth pursuing.
  3. Create a resume for one of the three careers.
  4. Post your resume on your blog.

Media and Links:

Resume Writing (Podcast) (Word)

Interaction:

Student-to-Student

Student-to-Content

Student-to-Instructor

Requirements:

  1. Post the resume on your blog
  2. Comment on three other student’s blogs and respond with what you found interesting about the career and why.

Evaluation:

Each post is worth 10 points if all these criteria are met:

·         Posted before the deadline

·         Submit verification of interview via email (Business card, company brochure, etc.)

·         Post addresses all the topics/issues listed in the assignment

·         Students responds to threes posts left by others students in the class

 

For this assignment I assumed the role of a Guidance instructor creating a podcast to address a component of career guidance—resume writing.  The content and description layout of the assignment are similar to the other weeks, and the podcast is the presentation option for the assignment.  Other presentations like slide show (with or without audio) could have worked for this assignment, but I felt I wanted more experience in creating a podcast.  To me, it was easier to create a podcast and text document then to create to a video with graphics and animation.  Even though I can learn to develop a video for this assignment, it would have taken too long and impossible to finish in time for this assignment.

 

My workflow process:

 

After reading this week’s reading I decided I would take a different approach in creating a presentation versus taking my traditional route.  In this assignment, I decided to create my text document first then create the podcast. After I finished my podcast I went back to my text document and made my final edits to the document, so my text and podcast were exactly the same in terms of content but differ in terms of media. With this assignment, I discovered this method was a lot simpler and less time consuming than my traditional method of recording and transcribing later, which will now become my new method for delivering a rich media presentation.

Overall, this project took about 4-5 hours (including my research time) and I feel it came out fairly well considering I had to learn a new piece of technology (which I including in my references).  Now that I am familiar with the process I can probably estimate that in a 10 week course, I will probably spend roughly 20-30 hours creating presentations; more importantly, my time dedicated to element of the course will vary depending on level of difficulty of the given assignment.  One thing I did noticed in creating the podcast was my tone and fluctuation of tone while I was reading.  I have a boring voice so that meant I spent a great deal time recording the right pitch and tone for the podcast, because I wanted my podcast to be equivalent to what my lectures would sound like.  In addition to my tone and fluctuation, I also noticed I had to change or slow down my speed of reading.  When I played back my first recording I realized I could not keep up with podcast to be an active listener, so I had to readjust my speed in order to grab my audience.  For my future podcast presentations I would like to see what if visual aids would add another dimension to the learning and comprehending for online classes.  I just have to find the time to create another presentation.

 

Annotated Bibliographies

As a result of the annotated bibliographies, I learned a significant amount of eLearning teaching styles, theoretical frameworks, and creating student-centered environments to engage learners to become active participants in the learning process.  These bibliographies not only provided background information to eLearning, it also pose several important questions that I think might be great to research and collect data on.

 

References:



Newberry, B. Presentation. (Word) Retrieved on February 18, 2013 from http://studyonthebeach.com/csusb/classes/winter2013/etec_674_winter_2013/s07.html

1 comment:

  1. Hi Melissa,
    It should be really hard work trying to adjust your natural voice to the audience. Actually your voice is nice but maybe you are picky and trying to correct all the little details. English is my third language and I learned how to live with my accent. You should be okay as long as you are able to express your opinion and what you mean thought. Your voice is not boring. Thank you!
    Alp

    ReplyDelete