Career Exploration Interview Assignment
Introduction:
This course is intended to guide an individual through the
complex array of career choices. The course is designed for students, as well
as professionals, so in this assignment you will explore in detail the three careers
you selected as interesting and worth pursuing, interview a person in that
field and refine your career planning.
Process:
- Go back to the three careers you previously selected as interesting and worth pursuing
- Locate a professional in each career you selected.
- Interview the professional in person with the questions provided.
- Submit verification of interview via email to Melissa.Sakoonphong@chaffey.edu.
- Post your interviews on your blog.
Media and Links:
Interaction:
Student-to-Student
Student-to-Content
Student-to-Instructor
Requirements:
- Post the all three Q &A interviews on your blog
- Comment on three other student’s blogs and respond with what you found interesting about the career and why.
Evaluation:
Each post is worth 10 points if all these criteria are met:
·
Posted before the deadline
·
Submit verification of interview via email
(Business card, company brochure, etc.)
·
Post addresses all the topics/issues listed in
the assignment
·
Students responds to threes posts left by others
students in the class
Rubric
|
CATEGORY
|
4
|
3
|
2
|
1
|
Preparation
|
Before the interview, the student prepared several
in-depth AND factual questions to ask.
|
Before the interview, the student prepared a couple of
in-depth questions and several factual questions to ask.
|
Before the interview, the student prepared several
factual questions to ask.
|
The student did not prepare any questions before the
interview.
|
Formatting
& Editing
|
The student edited and organized the transcript in a
way that made the information clear and interesting.
|
The student edited and organized the transcript in a
way that made the information clear.
|
The student edited and organized the transcript but the
information was not as clear or as interesting as it could have been.
|
The student did NOT edit or organize the transcript.
|
Knowledge
Gained
|
Student can accurately answer several questions about
the person who was interviewed and can tell how this interview relates to the
material being studied in class.
|
Student can accurately answer a few questions about the
person who was interviewed and can tell how this interview relates to the
material being studied in class.
|
Student can accurately answer a few questions about the
person who was interviewed.
|
Student cannot accurately answer questions about the
person who was interviewed.
|
Follow-up
Questions
|
The student listened carefully to the person being
interviewed and asked several relevant follow-up questions based on what the
person said.
|
The student listened carefully to the person being
interviewed and asked a couple of relevant follow-up questions based on what
the person said.
|
The student asked a couple of follow-up questions based
on what s/he thought the person said.
|
The student did not ask any follow-up questions based
on what the person said.
|
Quiz
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Assessment, Grading, and Evaluation
Overall, this week’s assignment has been my favorite thus
far. I love the introduction to new
tools and resources and appreciate the opportunity to create my own quiz and
rubric. As I stated in my thread on the
new discussion forum, I believe assessing and evaluating students should be a tool
instructors use to gauge the effectiveness of the content of the course, and
students’ ability to absorb that knowledge.
More importantly, I believe those gauges should be conducted several
times throughout the course, and should include alternative measures like group
work, presentations, and reflective work.
Although I realize cheating may be an issue with online
test/exams, for me, cheating is a small casualty to pay if I can achieve my
goal of student engagement and content comprehension. As an instructor it is my duty to help my
student’s grow and develop their higher levels of thinking so they can
understand the content taught or discussed in my class. Therefore, it is my job as an instructor to
create those opportunities for my students to explore and grow, even if it
means some of them may cheat. But I am
optimistic that if I did my due-diligence in developing a fun and creative learning
environment, I will not have an issue with my student’s cheating.
Blackboard discussion versus new tool
This week’s discussion forum was exactly what I was looking
for in terms of format and design for a discussion thread. As I stated in my blog last week I am partial
to discussion boards, chats, and text-base documents because of my learning
style, but I felt Blackboard’s discussion thread was a too difficult to read
and grade. The tool that was presented
this week addressed all my concerns by the use of a quotation button, and was a
simple tool to use and navigate through even though I was a new user.
Resources:
Newberry, B. Grading,
Assessment, and Evaluation. (Word) Retrieved on February 15, 2013 from http://studyonthebeach.com/csusb/classes/winter2013/etec_674_winter_2013/s06.html
Quizstar.
Retrieved on Febrauary 15, 2013 from http://quizstar.4teachers.org/servlet/quizrepositoryservlet
Rubistar. Retrieved on Febrauary 17, 2013 from
http://rubistar.4teachers.org/index.php?ts=1361149207
Waterhouse, S. (2005). The Power of ELearning: The
Essentail Guide for Teaching in the Digital Age. Boston: Pearson Education,
Inc.
I can agree with you Melissa this far this is too one of my favorite assignments!
ReplyDeleteI like what you said here about cheating "Although I realize cheating may be an issue with online test/exams, for me, cheating is a small casualty to pay if I can achieve my goal of student engagement and content comprehension". I think that most students will learn through engagement of some sort rather than being quizzed/ tested form just readings and lectures.
Hi Diana,
DeleteI agree with you on the testing. I did it this week for the experience, and I am more than liking going methods to gauge student understanding and comprehension rather than test/quiz.
Hi Melissa,
ReplyDeleteI actually had some problems with the Study on the Beach discussion forum although I really liked the interface. I couldn't figure out how to reply to specific posts. I had to send an email to Dr. Newberry to ask for instructions. He got back to me right away and in the end it was very simple. I can usually figure things out for myself. I don't know why I got stuck on this forum. I see that you mentioned that you really enjoyed the interaction using this forum rather than Blackboard. What specifically did you like about it?
Tamara
I like the simplicity in reading the threads. On Blackboard I would have to filter through 10,000 threads to get to one, whereas, the forum has the post you are replying to on the top and your response on the bottom.
DeleteHello Melissa
ReplyDeleteI also agree with the value in this assignment. It is an assignment we can put to use right away. I really liked the ease of use of Rubistar. It made creating a rubic quick and easy. I also agree with you on the quick feedback and student reinforcement gained from on-line quizes far outweighs the potential for cheating. I have always told students they are only cheating themselves. Once you get into the field of your choice you will be expected to know what you are doing and how to actually apply what you have learned.
Dennis
I completely agree Dennis. I would tell my students the same thing, and it would be extremely hard for them to challenge that because it is their career on the line.
DeleteI'm glad this session was good for you. I too prefer the modern discussion board system over the Blackboard threaded discussion.
ReplyDeleteI do too.
DeleteHi, Melissa - it sounds like you have the enthusiasm we wish all teachers possessed - really liked the assignment format, I compliment you on your dedication to create such a complete educational presentation not only of the assignment, but the process! Where do you students usually do the best based on your rubic?
ReplyDelete