Sunday, March 10, 2013

Session 9


Wow! Where do I begin? This week I attempted to close caption a video provided by Professor Newberry, and it (by far) has been the most difficult task I have attempted in this course. First I had to learn the different technologies available for closed captioning, and then I had to listen to the video over and over and over again to capture the exact words. As I finally type the last few words of the video and I began to export the file, I realized that the file I exported was not working and so I had to start all over again. That meant I had to go find workable software, learn how to utilize it and type everything out again. Oh man…I never expected I would experience so many issues trying to close caption a video. After searching for what seemed like forever I was able to find one that worked, and so I begin the process again and the same exact thing happened—I was not able to export the file into the video. However, in my second failed attempt I discovered software called Movie Captioner that was a lot easier to use than Magpie. Even though Movie Captioner is not free, it gives you a 14 day trial period to practice or play around with the software; more importantly, it was simple to use and provides a clear product to utilize in your course. 

Here are some of the resources I found and attempted to use:





 

I even tried this one but it is NOT a working html

3 comments:

  1. I read this information and I could only imagine how time consuming it would be! I did not dare try it yet!

    Props to you Melissa that you actually attempted to caption a video!!
    Thanks for sharing the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, it is grate to obtain new skills from class.
    I knew that it needs time and i was full busy, but it is in my considerations.

    Thanks for sharing us those helpful link.
    Nouf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Melissa,

    The description you provided about your experience captioning a video demonstrated the difficulty that can be involved in the process. Thank you for sharing and providing the names and links of some of the products you found.

    Janine

    ReplyDelete