My
reflections on the content discussed
during Wednesday’s meeting were amazing.
I was particularly interested in the discussion about MOOC (Massive Open
Online Course), Western Governors, and the early detections alerts for advisors
to help students who are at risk of failing.
Since my background is in educational counseling and guidance, I was
extremely interested to see/hear what tools are available to help students when
they are at risk of failing an online class, and how advisors/administrators/developers
and can be proactive in detecting these students (and detecting them early
enough) to help get them back on track. I
wish I was on the live call to ask more information and ask questions about
those alerts, and the functionality and success rates of having an early alert
system. Nevertheless, it was still amazing to know that the university is looking
into tools like this one and finding alternative methods to increase student
success in online courses/programs.
This topic was practically
interesting to me because of my position at the community college and how the
college has traditional used tools similar to the alert but nothing in the form
of instant feedback. At the moment at
risk students are services by the Early Advantage (EA) program, which is similar
to a brick-and-mortar style of operating and requires the collaboration of the course
instructor and EA advisors to identify students who would benefit from the
program. Then spend countless hours to
try and get a hold of these students to remedy their situation to successfully
pass the course. It’s nice to know that
something has been created and is coming down the pipelines to proactively
identify these students and give them instant feedback in the mode of
communication that fits the students prefer form of communication. From my experience, students in an online or
distance learning course(s) either work or have other obligations where synchronous types of communication is
not a viable option for them, so it is extremely important for instructional designers/administrators/advisors
be aware of those nuances of a student’s life and prepare for them.
With the rapid growth of
online learning it can be easy to get caught up in the funding and technical components
of the development of online courses, but let’s not forget it is equally
important to create and support a course that can achieve the student learning
outcomes and completion rates of the course.
My thoughts on the method and technology used to support the guest
speaker event mirrors my thoughts on students’ success. Whether you are the instructor or
instructional designer developing a course, it is important to utilize (or at the
very least be familiar) with different types of technologies that will create a
space where your students can learn with ease anywhere and anytime. I was one of those students that could not
make the live call, so I had to rely on the recording to complete my assignment
for this week. Now if I was in a
traditional face-to-face or even a hybrid class, I know I would not have that
flexibility to listen to a recording and would have missed the opportunity to
complete this assignment. It is nice to
know that I can fulfill my obligations at home, work, and as student by simply
utilizing a tool like Talkshoe without having to jeopardize my relationship
with one or the other; more importantly, it was free and easy to use.
Hi Melissa,
ReplyDeleteData analytics are really taking LMSs to a whole new level. Administrators and instructors have the tools now to track students to see how active they are in their online classes and how deeply they are involved in class interactions. Based on the analytics, administrators/instructors have the chance to provide more guidance and feedback to those students who are not showing much involvement. This is crucial to student success and to making sure students stay on track. I think it can be a very effective tool for community colleges since retention and graduation rates are problematic.
I enjoyed reading your post.
Tamara
I could not agree more! This is why I am so excited about this tool.
DeleteHi Melissa
ReplyDeleteEliminating the bias between the traditional and eLearning is the major problem I think. I would like to learn more about how early warning could help online students since they are far from the educational counselors.
I'm curious to know what bias you are referring to?
DeleteHi Melissa
ReplyDeleteYou bring up a good point about data analysis and being able to track a students success. On my campus we use a program called Infinite Campus, it allows students and counslers to track assignments, due dates, current grade and missing work. The real key is the student and their willingness to get it done. This is a challenge in face to face and I'm sure the challenge would be the same maybe more with on-line. Those who work hard, focus, manage their time are going to do well whether it is traditional, hybrid, or online.
Great post
Dennis
I've heard about Infinite Campus, but have not had an opportunity to use or interact with it. I hope I get an chance to use it soon or at least something similar to it at my school.
DeleteIt is always nice to hear that the topics of discussion in a session like this are of interest!
ReplyDeleteHi, Melissa - I agree with you that it is counselors AND instructors that "catch" students with academic issues. It is always a plus when we can share information with our peers about what we do, and your role is very important. You seem to have a passion for it and this tool is definitely to both our benefits.
ReplyDeleteI agree completely.
Delete