Sunday, January 13, 2013

Session 1


Hi Class,

My name is Melissa Sakoonphong and I am a second year graduate student in the Educational Counseling and Guidance program at CSUSB.  In addition to being a graduate student, I also work at Chaffey Community College as a Counselor Apprentice.  My hopes and educational goals for this class is to learn as much as possible about e-learning, earn an e-learning certificate, work towards a M.A in Instructional Technology and/or Ed.D. More importantly, my professional goals for this course is to use the knowledge from this course and apply it to online guidance instruction, train new competent counselors, and ultimately develop a tool that will help counselors track and quantify one-on-one student sessions so community colleges can adequately allocate resources to increase graduation rates.   

My prior experiences with e-learning have been limited to online and hybrid courses at the community college level from an end-user’s perspective, and one E-Learning Design and Development course,  so I still have quite a way to go in terms of learning the basics of an e-learning course from an instructor’s point-of-view. Because I am comfortable with learning new technologies and desire an asynchronous type of interaction(s), I prefer online learning as opposed to face-to-face.  Whether the online course utilizes familiar technologies or not I am confident in my ability to learn new things, which is why I am super excited to be a part of this class and hope this course will take me one step closer to helping students achieve their goals.

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Melissa: Good to meet you online! I agree that we can learn all the technology for online learning simply by being exposed to it. I remember feeling very inadequate when I heard about online learning in the beginning. I wondered whether I could acquire the expertise to instruct in this method. Like you, I now feel more confident that as an instructor I am building my confidence. Look forward to continuing to work with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to working with you as well.

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    We live in a Cyber age now! We can communicate to eachother and share opinions. Blog is only one of the communication tools. Welcome to the Cyber world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Melissa good to read some more about you and feel like I don't have to start all over creating connections in the online environment. I like how you stated you prefer the asynchronous interactions. I feel the same way but would not of voiced it that way. But you are right on for my preference as well. Look forward to continued asynchronous interactions with you in class!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly,
      Glad to see your are back, but what do you mean by "would not of voiced it that way"?

      Delete